KOPIKAU 2012/9/3
tansl 2012/6/27
tjee0512 2012/3/29
teresaong 2012/3/24
Sponsored 2

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Gunung Santubong, Kuching

From Catscity
Vandread, this is for u.....u said u wanna know more about Gunung Santubong.

Well, actually there are a number of local legends about Gunung Santubong. But, i cant remember all so i went and search in the internet......this is wat i got.

One of these tells of how the mountain came to be (and where its name came from). Like many legends, there are several versions of this one.

According to one version, the mountain was formed when mythical Princess Santubong was speared by her jealous sister, Princess Sejinjang. Falling over, she gave the mountain its distinctive profile, like a pregnant belly.

According to the other version of this story, the two princesses lived in the heavenly kingdom Kayangan. The Crown Prince fell in love with both of them, but they refused to be joint wives. The King of Kayangan banished the princesses to earth, where they became Gunung Santubong and the nearby Gunung Seijinjang.

Another (less romantic) story is that the name originates in the Chinese 'San Chu Bong', for the wild boar found there. Yet another legend relates that the animals living on the mountain turned into people on crossing the ridge to the other side, and back into animals on returning (or vice-versa).

Even the local, had put the legend into song. Here it is...have look...... its with English translation.

Puteri Santubong, Puteri Sejinjang,
Penjaga gunung negeri Sarawak,
Manis sik ada dapat dilawan,
Anak dak dewa turun kayangan.

Princess Santubong, Princess Sejinjang,
Spirits of the mountain in the land of Sarawak,
So sweet, you could find no comparison
Children like goddesses descended from heaven.

Ooo..Puteri Santubong,
Menenun kain...siang,
Ooo...Puteri Sejinjang,
Menumbuk padi...malam.

Ooo..Princess Santubong,
Weaving clothes...by day,
Ooo..Princess Sejinjang,
Threshing rice...by night.

Satu harinya duak kelayi,
Beranok-anok sik renti-renti,
Sorang madah diri bagus agik,
Sorang sik ngalah sampei ke mati,

One day, the two fight,
Mad quarrel without ceasing,
One says she is the fairest
One won't back down even unto death

Yalah kisah duak 'rang puteri,
Suka kelayi setiap hari,
Lalu disumpah raja kayangan,
Menjadi gunung negeri Sarawak.

Here, the story of two princesses
Who liked to fight every day
Till a curse from the lord of the fairies came to pass
And they became the mountain in the land of Sarawak

Hopes it interest u all..

Posted on: 2004/2/16 16:10

Re: Gunung Santubong, Kuching
Home away from home
From The Dreaming
I thought there was another version where the princess was waiting for the prince to come but he never did come and she turned to stone?

Posted on: 2004/2/16 16:12

From Catscity
I think tats the one about Gunung Kinabalu...

Posted on: 2004/2/16 16:20

Home away from home
From The Dreaming
Really? I really thought that was for Gunung Santubong...How about the legend behind Gunung Langkawi?

Posted on: 2004/2/16 17:59

From Catscity
This is wat i got...

Legends of Langkawi

Gunung Raya and Gunung Mat Cincang

There are two well known mountains in the heart of Langkawi Island, Gunung Raya and Gunung Mat Cincang. Added to the two and appearing to separate them is a hill called Bukit Sawar. The three were said to be human beings with respective names of Mat Raya, Mat Cincang and Mat Sawar.

Legend says Mat Raya's son was interested in marrying Mat Cincang's daughter, much to the displeasure of Mat Cincang. The boy was said to be of bad character. Despite the reluctance on Mat Cincang's side to accept the boy the marriage did take place. But unfortunately a fight broke out during the wedding feast.

During the fight everyone became violent and pots and pans were flung at one another. A big pot of gravy was broken and the contents spilt on the ground. The spot where the gravy spilt is known as Kuah (gravy) and where the pot was broken as Belanga Pecah (broken pot). A couldron of hot water was also spilt on the ground and the spot is known as Air Panas (hot water). The fight between the two families went on until it was intervened by Mat Sawar. Both parties reconciled and decided to transform themselves including Mat Sawar into their present forms.

Posted on: 2004/2/17 13:55

Home away from home
From Kuching
wah lau eh, do you need to do that jie jie... wah, sorry to mah fang jie jie, nice story i have read all of it sure long one~ the legend for chinese part i dun like, hm...siau one, wild boar pulak..hahaha i love the puteri one, see your story i also feel sad for it, that sis no jahat...(hmm...dun know my jie jie like that or not, everytime want to sell di di, scared~~~ ) haha

Posted on: 2004/2/17 19:42
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From Catscity
hhhahahaha......no prob one mah...i promise say will find the story for u mah...........no mah fan......really............

jie jie very good one........sell di di to good ppl only

Posted on: 2004/2/18 1:16

Home away from home
From Kuching
wah, sell to good ppl only~ cham lo, got jie jie like that how much you can sell? i think only $1 nia, no one want me...include jie jie..only want to sell di di nia, and make profit..hahaa

Posted on: 2004/2/18 17:38
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]